Kyneton Cookbook Illustrations


Sometime ago I blogged about some kitchen and food illustrations I'd been working on, and here is the finished result.  The illustrations were to accompany recipes for the Kyneton Kitchen Cookbook, put together by the hard-working mums of the Kyneton Playgroup (myself included!)    




It was a great project to work on as I really just created my own brief.  I'd been wanting to work on some more food-based illustrations for a while, and also to experiment with working in a linear style with pen and ink. 
The majority of the illustrations were based on things in my kitchen such as condiments, bowls, saucepans and utensils, and of course I tried to ensure that the illustrations matched the recipes.  As well as creating the illustrations, I managed the overall layout and design of the book, so it was great to play at being a graphic designer for a while! 


 

I loved working on all the illustrations and creating the foody artwork, and it made a really nice change to be in charge of my own brief and not to be restricted by the usual commercial constraints.  The freedom of working with a dip pen instead of my usual watercolour technique, and creating a more 'simplistic' range of artwork in a limited colour palette was really refreshing and I hope to get the chance to work on similar food-based illustrations in the future.     
 

2 comments:

  1. These illustrations are just gorgeous Lucy and what a wonderful addition they make to the cookbook. Is the cookbook for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine,
    Lovely to hear from you. Yes the cookbook is for sale :) it's $15 and is a fundraiser for our local playgroup. If you want a copy I'll happily post one to you, although I'm sure you don't need a copy with all of your fabulous recipes! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete